Thursday, November 4, 2010

PLN15

The article, “Schools would be great if it weren’t for kids” matters to me because on a lot subjects in school I’m not very eager to learn, to education because the article partly blames our education traditions and systems, and to the world because if most students aren’t willing to learn in school, what will be their reaction when they reach the working world?  This article is about how experts are finding that students aren’t very eager to learn.  It also talked about how there are many different types of motivation for students, whether it be through peer pressure, parents, or teacher intimidation.  Since I personally am not very eager to learn most of the time, sometimes my grades reflect that.  For example, if I am playing a sport and takes up most of my night and I had an off hour during the school to finish my homework and instead I hung out with some friends that would be an example of night being eager to learn.  In the article, the author talked about how our education system in general isn’t promoting student motivation because many teachers teach to “raise students’ test scores”.  And also if a student gets good grades they are rewarded, so it sends the message they that should be getting good grades for rewards, not clearly on their future.  If students aren’t as motivated now, how will they do in the work force?  Some can argue that previous generations did fine, why wouldn’t we?  But the difference is the culture in general.  Many people agree that my generation is the most pressed to be “successful” (as in gating good grades, going to college, even sports) than any other generation in history.  Because of that there is more pressure.  Let’s hope reform is on its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment