Sunday, October 31, 2010

PLN12

In the article “Do You Believe in Algebra?” it matters to me because I am student who takes math as a class many times a week, to education because I know many fellow students who wonder how Algebra helps them in the real world, and to the world because much of the emphasizes the importance of mathematics.  “Do You Believe in Algebra?” talked about there are very few people who have an advanced degree in some sort of mathematics, something like .03%.  Since I am a student who takes a math class regularly, sometimes I sit in class wondering how this is supposed to help me in the future.  Truthfully, I understand why we learn basic math early on, but on comes trigonometry, and I can’t think of a profession that uses it.  Connecting to education, my fellow students ask the same thing.  I hear at least once a month, “Mr. or Mrs. ___ why do we need to know this?” and usually the teacher has a hard time answering it or he or she just says that it’s in the curriculum and that they are required to teach it.  This matters to the world because the world as a whole emphasizes the importance of mathematics.  I cannot disagree that math is important but I don’t see man articles talking about how there is a shortage of mathematicians in the world because only 0.03% of college graduates have a PhD in math.

No comments:

Post a Comment